Just So You Know

Let me start this by saying if at any time you read a message that compels you to a response, by all means... feel free to continue the learning. You DO NOT have to leave your real name or any name for that matter. When you click "post a comment" or however it reads, you have 3 options. Once on the actual comments page, you'll see prior replies as well. Then there's the 'leave a comment' field. Under that are CAPTCHA and 'choose an identity' (name) options. CAPTCHA is designed to slam SPAM as well as let me know a human is posting vs. a computer generated response. Again, I do not consume beef nor pork so SPAM is not welcomed. Even a photograph of it bothers me. Ok, not really but you get my point and hence you will see the moderation message when you've finalized your post. The identity/name options are as follows:

1) Log-in using (drop down menu for those registered with those services)

2) Nickname and URL - allows you to choose any name and/or link your site to it

3) Anonymous (you can use it but I still have the right to decide if it gets published publicly or not - GOOD FOR ME - YAY!!)

So there ya go. Send me $49.99 if you use these instructions in your own BlogSpot. Cash, cashier's check, money order and Western Union accepted 24/7. :D

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

'Black Comedians On Black Comedy' - Paperback




I put the word 'paperback' in the title so that you know which copy I have. Not that you care, I thought I'd just share that. So, what is 'Black Comedians on Black Comedy: How African-Americans Taught Us to Laugh' about you ask? First of all, comedian Darryl 'D'Militant' Littleton took comedic history to another level in terms of information presentation. It's the history of how comedy came to life from the African American/Black perspective with insertions of every race of comedians as well. I'm about half way through the book but I can say this, it's not only comedy fact nor it is ONLY people of beautiful color facts. You can not prepare a book of this magnitude without including blackface, racism, segregation and yes, slavery. But what Darryl does is, he opens dialogue for us to be educated further on our laborious journey into how comedy may have gotten it's "flat feet", both black and white, in once closed doors. "Flat feet" is a term you'll get more understanding of as you become immersed.

I must add, I did find the book through the person I go on and on about in my blog - Katt Williams. He is quoted in it and gives it his approval as well. Sadly, (I skimmed forward) his section does not BOLD title his name and it's very little information from one of my favorite comedians of all comedians out here. I wish there was more Katt in it but Mr. L makes up for it by providing historical knowledge on so many others... I'm re-reading paragraphs just because of the shock value. If you really want to know Redd Foxx's story, what TV show spun off what, and depth about the "chitlin' circuit" in comedy terms... pick this book up. It is beyond quality coffee table reading and should be placed right there with other historical books for others to read. Once you start, you can't put it down. Yes, I had to put it down to type this but back to it I go.

Wait, I need a snack and some grape juice. (laughs)

BTW - If you click the book's title up there, Amazon.com allows you to browse through some pages. NICE!! Also, the book is being prepped for a documentary with Robert Townsend at the helm, last I read. The film is entitled, per the IMDb.com, "Why We Laugh: Black Comedians on Black Comedy".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Criticism, Feedback and/or Suggestions Always Welcomed!! Anonymous posts are moderated and reviewed for allowed public content guidelines.